Sturgis is known to locals as a mountain biking mecca, beat the future crowds and get in on the ground floor by exploring the area now. There are several dozen miles of great mountain bike trail on the Fort Meade Recreation Area, made accessible by several trailheads located right in city limits.
The South Dakota Centennial Trail, a 100+ mile single track trail featuring some of the most epic mountain biking terrain anywhere passes through Sturgis and the Fort Meade Recreation Area. The Centennial Trail is also used for the annual Tatanka mountain bike race hosted in Sturgis.
Significant work is being done to build new mountain biking trails on nearby Deadman Mountain, through Vanocker Canyon, and into the former Davenport Dams, now often referred to as the Sturgis City Dams. Sturgis mountain biking is growing in a big way in an effort supported by local nonprofits as well as the City of Sturgis.
- Last Chance To Register For Tatanka MTB Race At A Discount Jun 29, 2016 - Early bird registration rates for the Tatanka mountain bike race, the amazing, epic race hosted out of Sturgis are ending soon! The registration fees for the epic distance, which is a 135km race starting at Mount Rushmore are currently $150, but will be increasing to the full rate of $200 soon. If you plan to […]
- Tatanka Race Registration Fees Increase Soon May 30, 2016 - Registration fees for the Tatanka mountain bike race, an epic race hosted in Sturgis with multiple distance options, are increasing again soon! The registration fees for the epic distance, which is a 135km race starting at Mount Rushmore are currently $125, but will be increasing to $150 at the start of June. If you plan […]
- Tatanka Registration Fees Increase Soon! Jan 28, 2016 - Registration fees for the Tatanka mountain bike race, an epic race hosted in Sturgis with multiple distance options, are increasing at the start of February! The registration fees for the epic distance, which is a 135km race starting at Mount Rushmore are $100, but will be increasing to $125 tomorrow. If you plan to ride […]
- 7th Cavalry Trail System gets official in 2016 Jan 10, 2016 - The Bureau of Land Management, in collaboration with Black Hills area nonprofit Black Hills Trails have put together a tentative schedule for the remaining work to be done before commissioning the new 7th Cavalry Trail System on the Fort Meade Recreation Area. The remaining work will likely entail thousands of volunteer hours throughout 2016, but […]
- Tatanka Mountain Bike Race 2016 Registration Open Dec 15, 2015 - Registration for the 5’th Annual Tatanka point-to-point mountain bike race is now open! This trail event, hosted by Black Hills Trails and put on as part of the Sturgis Bicycles, Art, and Music (BAM) Festival, features 3 different distances making it appropriate for most abilities. The longest, Epic distance race sees riders shuttled to Mount […]